Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Le Printemps/Spring!

Well, spring has finally come to les provinces Atlantique, and farmers' markets are selling their first greens, to the delight of those "locavores" (I was called one by a stranger, last week) who've been sticking to a local diet.

I have been silent for months, due to an illness that was as mysterious as it was frightening. But, happily, have made it through to "getting better" --and credit the recovery to good food, including fresh carrot juice (most recently, carrots of last year's harvest, sold at the Charlottetown farmers' market), my "sunshine juice"--carrot, rhubarb, apple-- and lots of comforting late winter food, including soups of pumpkin, apples; snacks of roasted soybeans; and other veggies, relishes, salads of the last red cabbage and apples.

And wow--- that cabbage did last long! Likewise, the small sugar pumpkins: I still have one remaining in the upstairs closet, and it looks, still, wonderful. I'm thinking I should serve it for something, or someone, special...

Today's rainy day was perfect for the fields. My cover crop/green manure of rye, sown in the fall, had been decimated by a neighbour's abundant flock of guinea hens (soon to find new homes!) but this spring I'd replaced it with a rye/buckwheat mix, plus a fence, and the buckwheat is now emerging (those birds love rye!), as have the first salad greens, garlic, and perennial herbs.

I worked on a book chapter beside the glowing woodstove today; and simmered atop that stove a chowder of PEI parsnips and carrots (provisioned during a trip to the Island), NS potatoes and onions, and dandelions gathered by me as I prepare the various beds in the garden for first crops.

No comments:

Post a Comment